?What organizations are eligible to apply for a grant under Caring for Kids?
Institutions, such as hospitals, community health centers, health departments, school systems and other not-for-profit or public agencies that sponsor at least two school-based health centers. At least one of those school-based health centers must have provided services to school children for at least two years as of September 1, 2001.
?What is a "sponsoring institution"?
A sponsoring institution is an institution that has oversight responsibility for the school-based health center. Among other responsibilities, the institution is legally responsible for the health center, provides oversight for the health professionals, may organize malpractice insurance for providers, bill for services, and maintain financial records. The institution may also organize continuing education for providers and be a source of the policy and procedures that guide the medical and mental health practice.
?What is a school-based health center?
This grant initiative uses the school-based health center definition described in the RWJF Call for Proposals, Making the Grade: State and Local Partnerships To Establish School-Based Health Centers (1993). The Call for Proposals states: "While comprehensive school-based health centers vary in staffing patterns and services provided, they share some common features: * They are located in schools. * Parents sign written consents for their children to enroll in the health center. * An advisory board of community representatives, parents, youth and family organizations participate in planning and oversight of the health center. * The health center works cooperatively with school nurses, coaches, counselors, classroom teachers, and school principals and their staff to assure that the health center is an integral part of the life of the school. * Clinical services are the responsibility of a qualified health provider (hospital, health center, health department, group medical practice, etc.) * A multidisciplinary team of nurse practitioners, clinical social workers, physicians, and other health professionals care for students. * The health center provides a comprehensive range of services that specifically meets the serious health problems of young people in the community as well as provides general medical care.
?School is out. Do I need to secure letters of support from parent organizations or school staff and faculty?
As stated in the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Call for Proposals, letters of support are requested from the sponsoring agency, the host schools, parent organizations, and, as appropriate, dental and mental health organizations. In addition to Parent-Teacher Organizations, parents also participate in advisory committees for Chapter 1 schools, may be active in local school management teams, belong to parent booster clubs for sports activities or be involved in advocacy for students with disabilities. The goal is to demonstrate parent awareness of and support for the proposed program.
?May I apply for both a dental and mental health grant?
No. Grant applicants may apply for only one grant and that grant should address one of the models listed under either the mental health or dental health categories.
?How may I use the RWJF grant funds?
Grant funds may be used for staff salaries, consultant fees, a limited amount of equipment, and other direct expenses that support the project. The project must set aside funds to support attendance by the project director and a colleague at an annual Program conference in late June. The first conference will be held in Denver, Colorado in June 2002 immediately prior to the National Assembly on School-Based Health Care meeting. No more than 10 percent of grant support may be directed to activities that occur away from the school campus. For projects intending to provide services at more than one site, as long as the services are on a school campus, and integrated with the work of the school-based health center, then expenses associated with that activity are not associated with the 10 percent limitation. See the RWJF Budget Guidelines (budget narrative) for a list of allowable expenses.
?What is the project period?
The project period is from February 1, 2002 through January 31, 2005.
?Can grant funds be used to start new dental and mental health services in our existing school-based health center, if we now only provide primary care?
Yes. You do not have to have existing dental or mental health services. These funds can be used to initiate dental and mental health services.
?If we don't use all of the allocated funds in year 1, can we expend the unused amount from year 1 in year 2?
Historically, the Foundation has allowed unused funds to be expended in the subsequent year. The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation must approve all of the budget modifications.
?We would like to use the funds to support a sealant program in one center and a comprehensive model in another center. Is this permitted?
Yes. As long as you are able to document why the two models are needed.
?Is it possible to use a hybrid of the models in one school-based health centers?
We understand there may be some overlap however; we do not encourage a hybrid model. The purpose of the program is to learn how effective the models, as describe in the call for proposal, are in increasing access to dental and mental health services by school-based health centers.