Building State and Local Systems for Children’s Health and School Success
CHHCS works with state- and district-level leaders to integrate and prioritize disparate strategies that range from targeted interventions to broader prevention efforts, coordinate approaches to behavioral, oral, and physical health, and tailor solutions to the unique context of each school and school district.
CHHCS helps foundations, state and local health and education agencies, and school districts as well as nongovernmental organizations to:
- Build bridges among diverse stakeholders to better integrate their efforts
- Focus limited resources to maximize impact and sustainability
- Incorporate the latest, and future, best practices in program and policy
- Connect and mobilize community partners to ensure effective implementation on-the-ground
DELAWARE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND NEMOURS HEALTH AND PREVENTION SERVICES
The Delaware Division of Public Health, the Delaware Department of Education and Delaware Department of Health and Social Services joined Nemours Prevention and Health Promotion in sponsoring a comprehensive review of the 25 years of Delaware’s school-based health center (SBHC) operations. These state agencies and state foundation invited CHHCS to assist in the review.
CHHCS consulted with key stakeholders both to clarify the history of the Delaware SBHC initiative and to identify strategies to strengthen SBHC sustainability, impact, and manageability. This process involved analyzing existing operations through research and interviews of key informants, and facilitating a state-wide summit attended by local and state stakeholders. As an objective facilitator with expertise in the field, CHHCS led these representatives through a decision-making process that clearly framed the issues and created common ground for reinforcing partnerships.
Results: A set of strategies, recommendations, and practical next steps to strengthen school-based health center programming across the state of Delaware.
- Price OA. School-centered approaches to improve community health: Lessons from school-based health centers. Brookings. July 2016.
- Behrens D, Lear JG. Strengthening children’s oral health: views from the field. Health Aff. 2011;30(11):2208-2213.
- Center for Health and Health Care in Schools. Visioning the Future: School-Based Wellness Centers in Delaware, the Next 25 Years. December 2008.
- Lear JG. Health at School: A Hidden Health Care System Emerges from the Shadows. Health Aff. 2006; 26 (2): 409-419.
- Lear JG. Astoria revisited: New hope in the struggle to link community- and school-based care? Arch Pedatr Adolesc Med. 2011;165(3): 279-281.